July 25, 2009

Can I fire my Social Security Disability Lawyer?

Of course you can. Take a look at the contract that you signed. No one is required to stay hitched to any attorney they are not happy with. "Should" you fire your social security disability attorney is another matter. First off, the attorney technically has the right to ask for a Fee even if you have parted ways at the time your claim is approved. As a practical matter few attorneys do so.

I probably field 2 or 3 calls a day from folks wanting to fire their attorney and hire me. I urge folks to take a careful look at why they are unhappy with their lawyer. Typically people are frustrated with the delays, and feel the attorney "is not doing anything". Other times claimants are unhappy with calls not being returned. I always tell people to give the attorney a chance to respond to their concerns. An attorney can do little to speed up the process. Many times the attorney has done all that can be done, or they have a specific timeframe in which they prepare a case.

I often find that the understandable frustration folks have with the social security administration gets transferred to their attorney. Don't assume your attorney is part of the bureacracy; he or she went into this practice to help people. Give them the benefit of the doubt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home